Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wanting to get back under there again.

Well it was just yesterday that I spent six hours installing a M2 high flow exhaust manifold on my SER SpecV and I am already wanting to get back under the hood again. I have had a Hondata Intake Manifold gasket on my shelf since September. They have worked for other platforms and I figured I would give it a try, http://hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html, for $50+ shipping how can I lose.

I originally was skeptical about possible gains with already having a resin injected intake manifold over a traditional cast aluminum piece. I work for a tier one OEM parts supplier for Honda and their K24 engine and I see how resin manifolds are made and know how they dissipate heat. However, Hondata makes a gasket for the K24 engine and it sees gains from this. I figure that if I can slow down heat sink from the head to the intake manifold enough to grab a 2 horsepower increase. I suppose we will see, when heat is your enemy you must declare total war.

To further this effort I am going to prop the backside of the hood up at the same time, http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0909_jdm_hood_prop/index.html, gains are doubtful but if I can decrease my under hood operating temperatures by 10 degrees for $5's then count me in.

Next in the battle on under hood temperatures...Mishimoto Radiator and hoses, possibly wrapping my Injen Cold Air Intake (CAI) in gold heat reflective tape, and buying some sheet metal and making my own cooling panel to direct more air through the radiator. Should have wrapped my header with a heat insulating wrap but I decided not to in favor of extending the operating life of my Chinese made header.

-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment