Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Good and Bad to Specialized Tools

I'm a guy and I like toys, scratch that, I love toys; so when I go to the hardware store I have to set aside time to look through the toy...um...I mean tool section. I am fairly convinced you can't have too many. The problem arises with more specialized tools. On my recently completed header swap I found myself in the need of an O2 Sensor Wrench, I figured this tool couldn't cost more then $15's or so and I needed one best I could figure. Well it cost me $30's. Seriously, a tool that I am only going to use once or twice a year at the absolute most. However, I got a new toy.

The other time this happened to me I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight, not many guys my age, living in apartments, in college have heat guns. It is a very minimal use tool. But here is the thing, if one of my friends needs an O2 wrench or a heat gun they know who to call to use one. This increases my chance of a free lunch and beer...so perhaps in the long run I can pay these limited use tools back in free pizza and beer?

I better go and get a fender roller and spring compressors...

-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment