Monday, December 6, 2010

The Problem with Bioshock

It is a good, solid game. Upon first exit of the Bathysphere you are amazed and afraid of the horrors ahead of you. Insanity is a scary thing, especially when an ecosystem the size of a city is involved. However...how did this game win game of the year upon its release? Honestly, the story is good with its twists and turns however, the game play becomes bland and uninspired relatively quick. As far as atmosphere the game nails it exceptionally well, however you know what does atmosphere better? Dead Space.

Bioshock might have been amazing and revolutionary at the time, doubtful due to its general similarity to Systemshock, but it hasn't aged particularly well. And to this day Bobby and I have yet to finish it.

-Jordan

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before, and I will say it again. Honestly, I think that first time (second time for me) that we played it ruined it for us. I don't know how long we played it, but we had to have been close to completion... and that was in one sitting! I mean we've probably both done Oblivion runs for that long, and I remember having a crazy GoW session one Thanksgiving with my cousins that lasted almost all night, but playing a single game, or playing games in general, for an extended period of time like that can wear on you. Just looking at a screen for that long can make you tired.

    What I'm saying is that it takes a really, really good game to engage a person for an extended period of time (such as ... yes... Oblivion). Or if multiple people are playing or watching/hanging out, memorable experiences (in-game and out-of-game) can make a game playable for hours on end. (I mentioned playing GoW and of course you remember all the Fridays we spent palying 4-player Halo and CoD).

    Well, we played Bioshock for an extended period, and instead of stimulating us to keep playing, it tired us and made us not want to play again for a long time. I don't know what it was. As you mentioned, the gameplay and atmosphere are solid. Maybe it was just the day, maybe it was something else. If we would have played for only an hour or two, and took it in sessions like that, I have a feeling we would think more highly of it now.

    -Bobby

    ReplyDelete