Saturday, July 9, 2011

Never was so much owed by so many to so few

Does this amazing quote from Winston Churchill make sense in the context of the current realm of modern day car culture? To me it does with my recent decision to change automotive ideologies. My story of automotive obsession begins as many others I'm sure have. A board high school student with a perceived sports car (NA Dodge Stealth) and watch Fast and the Furious too many times and buying into the Need for Speed Underground games. Before you could say cliche I had a 3000 watt sound system, ebay ram air intake, midas exhaust, heavy black wheels with polished lips, and green under body neon lights. Maybe it was a different time back then...but mainly I like to think of that as my awkward teenage phase. I didn't know what I was doing or where I had developed those tastes from.

Believe it or not it was Tokyo Drift which originally sparked my interest in changing my ways. The constant close ups of Rays Engineering wheels had me gripped. All I knew was they were expensive wheels, I didn't realize it would help launch me in a new direction. I then decided to get a new car, ditch style and try for a little more function...this is when I picked up my 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V. Unfortunately a car without a single JDM weld in its chassis. A series of comedic tragedies if you think about.

Shortly after buying the Spec V I had a chance to pick up a set of Rays Engineering wheels and I took it. The Nismo 57F's in Bronze, identical to the Gram Light 57F; I am not a part of the elite with TE37's unfortunately but a 18"x8.5" 17lbs wheels is a great start. The B16 Sentra platform in general hasn't been able to really make it off the ground since its launch. Most of our support comes from companies like KSport and Megan Racing, I myself have an entire Megan Racing exhaust system on my car. A Injen CAI is one of the few intakes available for our cars.

Things improved again. Bought Falken Azenis for the Rays, Rays Engineering Lug Nuts etc. I bought the Twin Turbo Swap 3000GT as a side project and that is when the decision really started to be made for me. It's a Japanese car...why not use Japanese parts to play with it? An Apexi filter quickly replaced the ebay one on the 3000GT, I sourced a difficult to find Carbing/Pitroad M front strut tower bar, my plans continue to blossom.

The Spec V was now receiving oil changes using only ENEOS motor oil and Greddy OXO4 Oil Filters. I try to do the best I can with a nonJDM car and trying to do something that is different and matters. The Injen oiled air filter came off and an Apexi dry flow with a customized adapter went on in its place. I shift with a Carbing High Grip Shift knob. I have a Cusco oil catch can waiting in my parts closet and I fully plan on piecing together a turbo kit using as many legit parts as I can fit.

With patience and money the 3000GT will be fine. The same goes for the Spec V but will people understand what I'm trying to do??? I'm trying to support a fight, resistance, revolution for an idea that seems to be in trouble. With the knockoff companies stealing sales away from the craftsmen in the industry I feel that is where this quote fits. Never before was so much owed by so many to so few. I've been on the wrong end of this before and luckily I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment